Thursday, January 30, 2014

Quitting

Like Shia Labeouf ‘retiring from the public eye’ Tony and I took a much needed hiatus from this part of the public sphere. Unlike Shia, we did so without an announcement or head-butting someone during a bar crawl, and nobody really seemed to care. Over the last four months life among the Gould four has included many a child-actor breakdown. 2013 was a roller coaster year for us and now with much of January as recent history I have just begun to believe I may indeed catch my breath. I might be ready to peek my head out again. Maybe, more like Michael Jordan, we’ll return from “retirement” and find ourselves with an opportunity as cool as Space Jam.

In order to survive the recent and major life changes, each member of my family had to find a way to cope. My recent method of coping has been quitting. In answer to my irrational attempts at a “do it all” lifestyle I have had to call it quits on things more times than I would like. And most of the things I’ve quit have been good, fun, and healthy! It’s not like eating cereal from the box, or wearing leggings as pants; no, the things I have quit are generally approved activities. I quit my woman’s group. This started out as a temporary leave of absence, but as my hypothetical return date came and went, so I am pretty sure they all believe I have simply quit the group. I quit running. Aside from a few short runs on the treadmill in our basement and a failed attempt at completing Catherine’s 5K training before the weather turned our state into a giant deep freeze, I haven’t logged many miles. I quit Facebook, Twitter (ok, I may have never really started tweeting), Pinterest (except for those two nights I couldn’t sleep), and blogging. I did not in fact quit Instagram. I am all over that like flannel on a hipster. I quit cleaning my bedroom. The rest of the house stays in pretty good shape, but our bedroom is the pit that holds the overflow of anything I cannot get to right away. Why would I focus so heavily on keeping up appearance during the day while I sleep on a pile of unfolded clothes at night? I.do.not.know. Apparently, I quit using common sense as well. 

I've rolled out of bed many mornings with the intent to "do it all"; now I just want to pee alone.

With a laundry list of dropped activities growing longer and longer, Tony and I finally seized the opportunity for me to quit one more thing. After much consideration, following a few more changes for our family, I have made the decision to quit my job. I usually use the word resign in hopes of benefiting from its softer feel, but it's quitting all the same. This big life change not only comes with the title of stay at home mom, it also comes with the ability to pick back up a few of the things I have dropped. Yes, my days will be very full as we continue to homeschool and incorporate some additional outside activities, but this change in our priorities will allow us to live life at a more sustainable pace. Maybe I'll even find time to blog and try one of those DIY's pinned at 2 am. 

So hip hip hooray for another big change for the Goulds! We're still making moves my friends!

           
Emily

5 comments:

  1. Way to be a quitter! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing when I came home with our two kiddos. It's a big transition, but I don't think I could have made it through the last two years while working full time. It's just a different kind of exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be different alright, and exhausting nonetheless I'm sure. - Emily

      Delete
  3. Love this! You make me feel so much better about being a quitter myself. :) Been letting go of some good things here, in order to simplify and make space for the even better things. I want to be fully present where God has called me...right here at home.

    Blessings,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete